TRANSFORMATION OF THE URBAN SQUARES INTO AREAS OF SOCIAL LIFE FOR GATHERINGS/EVENTS, OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, ENTERTAINMENT AND RECREATION.
The earliest references to the Castle area date back to the Byzantine era and concern port activities at the time of the Latin traders. Later, it appears that the town itself moved to the Castle area where reference is made to commercial activity and organised settlement. There is evidence that the town developed later under the Franks, in particular after 1291 when they lost Syro-Palestine, and it became an important commercial and supply centre. Knights and their families settled or located their headquarters in the town.