Projects co-financed by the EU (2014-2020)
Integrated Sustainable Urban Development Strategy
Development interventions in the western districts of the Urban Centre
Projects amounting to €22.- million have been approved for co-financing by the European Regional Development Fund, National Resources and Municipal Fund, for the 2014-2020 programming period.
The projects proposed are the following:
- Restoration of the municipal apartment buildings on Misiaouli & Kavazoglou Street and their utilisation for cultural, social and educational purposes.
- Creation of a Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the Municipality’s premises on Franklin Roosevelt Street.
- Green walk to the religious, historical and architectural monuments of the area.
- Redevelopment and embellishment of squares (Syntagma, Filellinon, Anagennisis, Nikos Roussos)
- Improvement of building facades (houses and shops)
- Redevelopment of Misiaouli & Kavazoglou street
- Extension of Garyllis Linear Park – Connection with the seafront along the Demokratias/ Alexandrias streets
- Establishment of an Adult Placement Centre
The Projects proposed for co-financing were based on the Integral Sustainable Urban Development Strategy, which was drafted in 2015 and concerned proposals for development interventions in the western area of the city centre and more specifically in the area located south to north between Franklin Roosevelt Avenue and Arch. Makarios III Avenue and east to west between the Garyllis river and Vassileos Pavlou/ Omonoias streets. The above area includes the communities of Ayios Antonios, Tzami Tzatit, Arnaout, Ayios Antonios. Tsiflikoudia (part), Omonoias (part).
The Projects aim at the sustainable development of the area, the economic and social well-being of the residents and are expected to help implement the vision of “Limassol 2020” for a friendlier and more appealing city to social, environmental and business activities.